Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Party Preparation Procrastination 2009 Best of List Spectacular

I always talk about my top 5s or top 10s of the year or whatever, but I rarely actually follow through with them. It's a largely pointless endeavor that's really only useful to online publications who are looking for more hits. The rankings don't really matter and by the next year, they'll probably looking pretty embarrassing. But sometimes people need to kill some time; hey, I could stand to kill some time right now! Hors D'Oeuvres can wait! Here's my top 20 albums of 2009.

20. Cold Cave - Love Comes Close
This is probably just a result of misguided Philly-homerism, but I don't care, I like this record. I'll probably still throw this one on every once in awhile through the next year, so i'd say that fulfills my nebulous year-end list criteria. It's dancey, but never obnoxious; dark, but not depressing. Plus they've got a New Order thing going on, which I'm a total sucker for.

19. Smith Westerns - Smith Westerns
There's a million bands out there doing this sort of punked-up 50s pop rock, but these guys do it particularly well. "Dreams" is my fucking jam. That opening riff. Jesus.

18. Lotus Plaza - the Floodlight Collective
Bradford gets all the press, but this was the best Deerhunter side project to release an album this year. It doesn't have anything as awesome as "Walkabout", but it's a way more consistent listening experience.

17. CFCF - Continent
This sounds like sexy weather channel music. That's a compliment.

16. Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
These guys tap into everything I like about 90s indie rock, so I don't particularly care that they aren't doing anything new. It's not like Modest Mouse or Pavement are releasing new albums.

15. Fever Ray - Fever Ray
For what it's worth, I've probably listened to this more than any Knife album.

14. Built to Spill - There is No Enemy
I almost mentioned these guys along with Pavement and Modest Mouse, but then I realized they somehow released a really awesome, totally relevant in 2009. Good for these old bearded dudes. I'm still never paying to see them live again.

13. Junior Boys - Begone Dull Care
So, it's not the best Junior Boys album, but it's got a handful of top-notch tracks and even the worst Junior Boys album is bound to be better than whatever flavor of the month bullshit is blowing up on Hype Machine right now.

12. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
11. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
10. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

There's nothing I can say about these albums that hasn't already been said a million different ways by a million different blogs. But let me ask you something: when was the last time you listened to MPP? Isn't it kind of bullshit? Outside of like, "My Girls" and "Bluish" I mean. I could probably throw together a 10 song mix that encompasses all the Animal Collective I need to hear for the rest of my life. I sort of hate all 3 of these bands, even if I do like a bunch of their songs.

9 through 1: Coming later, after I make dips for this mo'fuckin crudite.


No comments:

Post a Comment